Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Overnight Biscuit, Sausage, and Apple Casserole {Recipe}

 

Thank the good Lord that I prepared this breakfast casserole on Saturday afternoon because there was no way I would have done so in my “condition” on Sunday morning. Over the weekend, I prepared an Overnight Biscuit, Sausage, and Apple Casserole.

casserole

J found the recipe in Southern Lady magazine (January-February 2012). I love breakfast casseroles because they are often delicious and easy to prepare. This variation was both. The addition of the tart apples made this a special one.

The recipe serves 8.

Ingredients:

  • 2 lbs. bulk sausage (I used Jimmy Dean Regular)
  • 2 tart apples, cored and sliced (I used Granny Smith)
  • 6 cups torn or cut biscuits in 1/2-inch pieces (I baked 8)
  • 9 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 3 cups milk
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Fry the sausage in a skillet, breaking it up as it cooks, and drain on paper towel. Reserve the fat, and let the sausage cool. Saute’ the apples in the reserved fat, remove from pan, and let cool.

2. Move the biscuit pieces to a large resealable plastic bag. Whisk together the eggs, mustard, cheese, and milk in a large bowl. Stir in the sausage and apples. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the plastic bag. Place the bag inside another resealable plastic bag with the zipper facing another direction in order to prevent leaks. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, preferably overnight or up to 2 days (It looks like the ingredients will not fit in a galloon plastic bag, but it does. I refrigerated overnight).

3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour mixture into a buttered 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 30 minutes.

breakfast casserole

All of my breakfast guests loved the casserole too.

Easy Breakfast Casserole, y’all!

9 comments:

  1. Ron that looks so good. I have made a sausage strata before, but I like the addition of the apples with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I love breakfast casseroles too...and I'm going to have to try this one!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron- These are some of my favorite recipes ever. Am I getting this right? You place ALL the ingredients in the plastic bag INCLUDING the biscuits? I am sooo going to do this for the next morning get together here- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made a breakfast casserole before but really want to. I've had them before at school events and they are yummy!! Your recipe looks delicious. May have to try this one. This would make a great weekend breakfast around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron, YUM! I love breakfast casseroles, but haven't seen this one made with biscuits. Please don't tell me you made biscuits from scratch.
    I'm headed to the store for ingredients...frozen biscuits to bake. I'm a Southern gal, but I didn't inherit the biscuit making gene.
    Thanks, and hope you've recuperated from your weekend. :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a new recipe for me, but it sounds great! I usually go with the sausage/egg/bread combo, but the apples give it a twist.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fabulous! I'm definitely saving this one in my recipe file! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! I am trying the casserole this weekend. Yummo! Thanks, Mary Grace

    ReplyDelete
  9. The biscuits and apples sound like a great twist on the breakfast strata! I'll definitely give this a try -- thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting @ The Uptown Acorn! I love hearing from you. Cheers, y'all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Uptown Acorn on Instagram