J & I are both trying to shed some post-holiday lbs. by eating healthier, and with my heart issues as of late, it is even more important for us to simply EAT healthier. J, the cook of the house, has been researching and perusing various cookbooks for heart healthy meals which are easy to prepare (and little mess---Yes! I am the OCD one!).
One meal that I totally LOVE lately is a dish that features mahi mahi.
- 2 filets of mahi mahi
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- Hot jalapeno jelly
- White wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Rub the mahi mahi in olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Bake the mahi mahi in a separate dish.
While fish is baking:
- Cut red bell pepper into thin slices.
- Cut onions into thin slices.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Be sure to use a separate baling dish and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
To make the topping for the fish:
- Use 1/3 cup of Jalapeno pepper jelly
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Heat for one minute in a microwave.
To prepare rice:
- 1 cup whole grain brown rice (Success 10 minute boil-in-a bag)
To plate the meal:
- Plate rice first, cover with mahi mahi, drizzle topping over fish, side with peppers and onions.
I cannot tell you how delicious this meal is, and it is very heart healthy.
Easy. Quick. Healthy.
Heart Healthy, y’all!