Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Ma Maison… Courtyard

 

Private. Lush. Tropical.

Many New Orleanians live in their private backyards, and J & I are no exception. We love our “secret gardens”. Head out the sliding doors of the breakfast room and meet me in the courtyard. You might want to bring an Arnold Palmer

41

34

The courtyard does not get much direct sunlight no matter how many times or how much the large hollies are pruned. Aspidistra leaves (also known as cast-iron leaves), palms, ferns, elephant ears, and caladiums fill the grounds and many planters in the yard. The courtyard is a lush, tropical oasis.

1

All of the furniture was used from out previous Atlanta yard and fit perfectly in various spots on the courtyard.

6

The courtyard features a built in brick pond/fountain. The sound is very soothing.

19

The large metal farm troughs hold various plants and herbs.

16

The alley way includes many more cast-iron leaves, ferns, and elephant ears.

22

A view from the second floor balcony down to the courtyard.

4

Today, enjoy more of the tour of the rear courtyard. The courtyard includes an upper balcony area along the rear of the house, a covered area perfect for relaxing, and a lower brick spot for dining & grilling.

Upper area:

3

7

11

5

25

26

Lower area: (Believe it or not, I do love the green algae which grows readily on the old brick. It certainly gives the courtyard character and charm.)

13

14

15

20

35

29

30

One of my favorite gifts, a rooster weathervane.

28

View from the courtyard to the second floor balcony outside the master bedroom.

24

Canopy of holly trees.

31

Major Sources:

Furniture- Frontgate, Lowe’s, Overstock.com, Frontera

Outdoor Rugs- Frontgate

Outdoor Pillows- Frontgate, Ballard Designs, Lowe’s

Farm troughs- Ace Hardware

Grill- Home Depot

Plants- Green Parrot Nursery, Perino’s Nursery, Ganier’s Nursery

(If you have a question about any other item, simply leave a comment, and I will gladly get back to you.)

I hope you enjoyed your time on this “secret garden” tour.

Join me at:

At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Fridays

French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Fridays

No Minimalist Here for Open House Thursdays

Savvy Southern Style for WOW Us Wednesdays

Courtyards, y’all!

9 comments:

  1. OMGOSH-I feel like I got a peek at a Secret Garden. It is wonderful. I love that it is big enough to entertain in and small enough to maintain. Just perfect. I absolutely LOVE how lush it all is-Thanks for the tour~ xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron, I absolutely love your courtyard!! Everything is so green and lush!!! I am a fan of all of the wonderful tropical plants that you have...caladiums and elephant ears are my faves! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. L.O.V.E. your "secret garden"! What I wouldn't give to have a private retreat like this--so secluded, lush, and chic! Thanks for the "virtual" tour. Can't wait to see this in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inviting spot to linger and visit awhile .......and linger........and linger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great spot to have! Love love it :) thanks for stopping by my blog and I look forward to taking more of your house tour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome space! I love the troughs used as planters and agree that the algae is very charming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is pretty! I am hosting a Giveaway to win a 50 dollar gift card to the store HomeGoods. It would be great if you stopped by and entered. Thanks Anu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ron,

    Your courtyard is a beautiful tropical paradise. I love your house, porch, and yard. New Orleans is my favorite city. It must be wonderful to live there and be able to walk those streets that have so much history and culture. I will be back there one day soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting @ The Uptown Acorn! I love hearing from you. Cheers, y'all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Uptown Acorn on Instagram