Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ocean Springs.....My Birthday Weekend 2012

When J & I lived in Atlanta, we loved taking short weekend trips-Savannah, Amelia Island, Highlands, and Charleston. Now that we are back in New Orleans, we love continuing the tradition of delightful weekend jaunts.

To continue my birthday weekend, J & I took a weekend trip to Ocean Springs, Mississippi about an hour and a half from New Orleans. The town is charming, romantic, and coastal.




"Ocean Springs, Mississippi, lies at the heart of the beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast on the eastern shore of Biloxi Bay. It’s known as the City of Discovery in recognition of the French establishment of a settlement here in 1699. Long before the French arrived, however, the area was appreciated for its beauty and natural resources by Native Americans. The attributes that brought these early residents have attracted a diverse stream of people during the past 300 years. Ocean Springs has been flavored by many influences during its rich history, and now in the 21st century, it has a unique character.
Like the rest of the Mississippi Coast, Ocean Springs was severely affected by the strong wind and huge surge of Hurricane Katrina, but Ocean Springs has certainly come back."



J & I love the quaint restaurants and bars, the tree-lined streets chock full of precious shoppes, and the warm and friendly southern hospitality displayed by many eclectic locals. And since Ocean Springs is on the coast, I was in “heaven”.

During the stay, we dined well, drank well, and shopped til we dropped. We stayed at the classic Gulf Hills Hotel and Conference Center in close proximity to the charming downtown area. The hotel reminded me of the one from one of my favorite movies, Dirty Dancing. It was very southern and had a “throw back in time” kind of vibe.



Over the next few days, I will feature an array of my favorite things from a city so dear, Ocean Springs. Thanks for the memories.


Ocean Springs, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. I love Ocean Springs! My dad was born and raised there and my grandmother still lives in Gulf Hills... :) Hope that you had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting @ The Uptown Acorn! I love hearing from you. Cheers, y'all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Uptown Acorn on Instagram